Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Another trip to the hospital

I think we are keeping the hospital in business.  Hannah had worked this morning till 11 am  and she came back home.  I had been up about all night with my knee hurting from the fall I took last week, trying to get our little cousin out of the barn when Hannah's market steer got loose.  I had broke down and took a muscle relaxer to see if it would easy the pain some, so I could get a little sleep.   After she got back from working, I laid back down and fell a sleep, next thing I know she is coming though the house crying and all upset, I think Cowboy( her barrel horse) just broke my nose, she said.  I got up, half a sleep, and went to her, blood pouring from her nose, she is crying and shaking.   I had to call my aunt and uncle to take us to the ER.

We get to the ER, sign in and they take her right back. They did a CT Scan and sure enough, her nose was broke in two places.  Luckily she has no facial fractures but she is in pain and having trouble breathing though her nose.  I am sure she will have plenty of bruising.   They gave her some pain meds, and she will need to see an ENT doctor, to set her nose.

I think, it happened so fast, she really don't know what happen.  But she was putting on the breast collar and she clipping it underneath and we figured when she bend down to clip the straps, he must have kicked at a fly or something and got her in the nose.   If he would have kicked her from behind it probably would have been a lot worse.  She a pretty tough cowgirl.   This is the second time she has been kicked in the face by a horse.  First time, she was around 2yrs old and baby horse(a small pony) kicked her, slight facture to the jawbone, four stitches to outside of her mouth and over 25 stitches on the inside of her mouth.

One thing living on farm and being around large animals, you have a chance of getting hurt.  You never know what one might do.    Cowboy is about 16 hands high, probably around 1200 or more lbs, and gentle as they come, but flies bothers him and kicks them.   Big ole horseflies  hurt when they bite.

2 comments:

  1. Eee gads, what bad luck. Hope the ENT sets her nose straight, from the pictures you posted of her she is quite the looker and if she's good at barrel racing that will put her in the spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. they are suppose to call us with an appt for the ent tomorrow. The ER dr. didnt want to mess with her nose, he said he preferred ent to set it. This is her 3rd yr in barrel racing and she does pretty good, she usually brings home some money after each race.

      Delete