Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Talking to old timers

One thing I wish I had done was kept a journal growing up on how-to-do things.   It was a lot easier for me to remember things when I was younger but the older I get, my memory, just isn't as good.  I wish I had wrote down the stories I had heard from my grandparents, and some of my older neighbors, who are all gone now, but was full of knowledge and how to do things the old ways.  I have decided that some of the old timers who are still around, I'm going to go talk to them and ask questions about things, I have even thought about going some nursing homes and talk to some of the residents and write down what they tell me.

Being raise on a farm by my grandparents, I learned a lot.   Every year, we would follow the same schedule.  Starting in March-November.     I remember my grandmother would start her spring cleaning and everything got cleaned.    She would open all the windows so the house could air out.  On a warm sunny day, she would take all the mattress off the beds and set them out on the porch so the could air out as well.   Windows were all washed down, inside and out.  All the walls was washed down, light fixtures cleaned, floors scrubber, closets cleaned out, etc.  

My papaw and uncle would start their burning off of the tobacco, getting them ready to sow tobacco seeds, then later on, having to go pull plants for setting.  I can remember being little and following behind the setter and if they missed a spot, setting the plant in the ground for them.  I always went barefoot, did for years, the ground would be so hot sometimes, but I loved the feel of the dirt between my toes, still do.  I still go barefoot in the garden. Then came suckering time, cutting time, I never got to cut the tobacco, but I would help to get it in the barn, help strip it and  bale it.   Then in November my uncle and papaw would take it off to the market.  I miss the days of working in tobacco, I miss being able to spent the time with my family talking and telling stories.    You learned a lot more than just raising tobacco.

I remember my grandparents burning off the lettuce bed, and planting their garden.  My grandmother canned everything.  She hated to see anything go to waste in the garden.  After the garden was planted, she would go through her canning, anything that was old or jars that had came open, she would empty her jars out and soak them in a big ole wash tub.  Get them cleaned up and ready to go for that years canning.

I could go on and on, but I will save some stories for later on.   If you have the time, find some old timers and talk to them, write down what you learn.    So much more I want to learn about the old ways.   I think, we are going to have to go back to some of the old ways.  We need to learn while we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment