Saturday, June 13, 2015

Preparing and organizing for canning season.

In a couple more weeks it will  be time for us to start canning.  Our garden is coming along nicely and hopefully I will have plenty to can this years. I have canned for years, and  the older I get the more ways I try and find to make this time of the year easier on me.  I pretty much do all the canning myself, my hubby helps out when he can but  he works 40 plus hours a week and comes home and has his own farm work to do.

I find it  easier if I start planning ahead and start getting things gather up and cleaned up, so it will be ready to go.   I even try and plan ahead of time for quick and easy dinners.

1. I like to give my kitchen a good cleaning and remove things that I don't need so I have plenty of room to work and put my jars.   I want to have plenty of countertop space.

2.  I start getting my jars out of storage and soaking them.  I either wash them all by hand (which I prefer) or if I just really don't have the time I will put them in the dishwasher.   Just seems like they are cleaner when washed by hand.

3.  I make sure I have all my canning supplies gathered up and ready to go.   I make sure I have enough lid, wide mouth and regular.    I do a lot of canning, so I pretty much stay stocked up on them.

4. I try and plan meals that can go into the crockpot or oven.  By the time, I get up early pick beans, string, wash and put them in jars ready for the canner, last thing I want to do it worry about cooking on the stove.  It's hard to cook with a canner going.  I usually try and can around 70 or 77 quarts of beans every year.

5.  I like to go though all my old canning and see what needs to be dumped and cleaned out. So that, I have room for all my new canning.  I should be doing this one now.  That way I can have my shelves cleaned and organized, ready to go.

6. I like to make sure I have a list of things I would like to can, and have all the ingredients needed and ready to go.  Recipes too.

I think that is about it.   I'm looking for to canning this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment