Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Starting of our Root Cellar

Finally after three years of asking and planning, we finally started on a place for our root cellar.  We raise a good size garden every year, and I do a lot of canning.  When we built our new house, I wanted  a root cellar built and something always came up every summer.   It will be a summer long project and I will post as we go along with the building of it.   It will be a 10x10, I would have liked it a little bigger but I'm just happy to finally be starting one.   Before, I would store my canning in the basement of my grandparents house, that is where my grandma always stored hers.  She was a big canner.  She came from a large family and her father was a farmer.   There was sixteen kids in all and which, there was 3 sets of twins.  With my grandma being one of the oldest, she had to do a lot of cooking, baking and canning.    After she had a family of her own, she still cooked big meals, and had a big garden, and did a lot of canning every year.  I guess she is the reason I love to garden and can so much. So thankful she taught me how to do all of it.   She canned and garden till she was 87 years old.
Hubby using the front end loader on the tractor to scoop out the dirt.  


Can't wait to start building it.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to finally be able to start on one. It will nice to have a place for all my canning.

    ReplyDelete