Thursday, June 25, 2015

injury on the farm

I took a good hard fall today and I think I have messed my knee up.   I'm in  a lot of pain and can't bend it.   I can get hurt the most on the farm.   I don't know how many times the horses has stepped on my right foot, or the pigs.  I have dropped pieces of firewood on my right foot several times.  Of course, my husband, doesn't cut small pieces of wood for the wood burner(it is an outside burner) they are huge and sometimes all I can do to lift on them.  I think, I need steel toe boots, when working with the animals and the firewood.  

But back to the knee injury today.   I had helped my daughter bath her 4h market steer and my husband had lead him back to the barn for us.  I had my little cousin Maddi with me and he just tied the steer up in the barn.  My husband had left to go get the chute and bring it back to the barn.   The steer kept moving and jerking around, and I told Maddi, I said, Lets move closer to the entry and if he gets loose you run a fast as you can into the old barn.  No sooner I told her that, he gets loose and starts jumping and kicking and I start running with her to get her out of the barn cause I didn't want her hurt.  It was just like in a horror movie, you know when running from the killer, we both tripped in fell in the mud. It happened so fast, I didn't really know what happen, other than I was in a lot of pain. I looked up to make sure the steer wasn't coming out the gate to run over us.  I got her up and moved her around to the side of the barn. I hurried and shut the gate on the barn entry and then went to the other end of the barn to shut those gates.  I knew if he got out, he would have been a bear to catch and probably went through everyones gardens.  Bad enough the evening before my daughter was in the barn and she had just got on her one horse she is working with, he spooked and reared up with her and she fell off and he took out the barn and right through my cousin's garden.  Luckily she was okay and not hurt.  She a pretty tough cowgirl.  But anyway, by the time I got around to the other end of the barn, he had found some hay and was chowing down on it.  

So here I am, covered in mud and can't hardly walk.  Yeah, I am sure it was a funny sight to see.  But it looks like a trip to the doctor tomorrow.  I know she loves when I come in to see her.   Last injury I had, I had messed my shoulder up helping a young buck out of a fence he had got trapped in.  I was trying to pull him out, up a muddy embarkment, my feet slid out from underneath me and I fell.  Already have a tear in my shoulder and have to go every so often for shots,  My shoulder was already hurting and pulling on that deer didn't help.   I couldn't get him and we ended up calling for help.  We came back through he was gone so they must have gotten him out. 

Then a couple weeks ago, we were working on the pig lot and had the post hole diggers on the back of the tractor and I was pushing on it and my shirt got caught in the shaft and it ripped my shirt right off me.  Scared my poor hubby to death   Never seen him move so fast.  He thought it had caught my arm.    

Always something going on here,  Never a dull moment.    I just hope and pray my knee is okay, I have so much to do and it is almost canning time. 

2 comments:

  1. Farms are historically dangerous places. Big animals with a mind of their own and lots of mechanized equipment to get hurt on or worse. Never let your guard down of fail to use common sense.
    Hope the knee is just a strain and some ice and rest will get you back in shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely right about farms being dangerous and keeping your guard. I always worry about using farm equipment when small kids are around. Your on a big tractor with equipment hooked up to it, you go to back up or move forward. you can always see. We live in a farming community and heard to many stories of kids getting ran over or getting caught in farming equipment. Men rolling tractors over on them.

    I went to the doctor today and she wants to rest my knee and keep icing ever so often.

    ReplyDelete