Friday, July 3, 2015

My grandmother's Old time stack cake recipe

Not sure where my mamaw got the recipe from but she would make her dried apple stack cakes from it.  I remember papaw building her a drying stand outside.  He took old tin roofing, four tree posts, and make it for her.  He had two layers of the tin.  She cut up apples and placed them on the tin and he built a fire underneath the tin.  He made the stand pretty tall, well, it looked tall to me at the time.  I was probably around 10 yrs old.   I just remembered it gave the apples a different taste.  A couple of years ago, I was up at my aunts house and she had this big glass jar full of some of the apples my grandparents had dehydrated.   They probably were over 34 yrs old, she had me try one.  Yes, I was brave and tried one.   It tasted  just like it did when they first dehydrated them.  I was surprised.  They had kept them in glass jars, with clear plastic over it, then a lid.  No mold, or anything.

Mamaw would cook some of the apples down and made almost like applebutter and that is what she would use between the layers of the cake.  I tried making one, but I had to use applebutter between the cake layers of mine.



This is the one I made. Not as pretty as my mamaws was, but it turned out pretty good.  Wrap in clear plastic and let set couple of days, it tastes a lot better. 



Here is the recipe for the cake part. 


3/4 cup of shortening
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of sorghum 
1 cup of buttermilk
6 cups of flour plus extra to roll
3 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger


Preheat oven to 375
Sift dry ingredients together.  Cream shortening, sugar, sorghum, eggs and milk together.  Add flour mix until stiff.  Put dough onto floured broad, small portions at a time, roll thin.  Cut out with 10inch lid or pie pan.   Bake 10 mins. or until golden tan.  Put layers together with dried apples or applebutter. 

Makes 12 layers. 


I have one of her old recipe books that she had wrote some of her reciped down in and it was little hard to read,  If you try this recipe, I hope you enjoy it. 








No comments:

Post a Comment