Friday, July 17, 2015

Blueberry syrup, green tomatoes and some canning.

I have been trying to get a little canning done.   We have had so much rain our garden isn't  doing the greatest.  As soon as the tomatoes start turning, they start to rot.  We have never had that problem before.   As far as the plants go, they look great and loaded with tomatoes.   Everyone around here is having trouble with their gardens and stuff rotting.
5 qts of spaghetti sauce, 3qts dill pickles, 3 qts of green tomatoes and  4 qts of zucchini and yellow squash. 

4 qts of green tomatoes, and 3 pts and 4 half pts of blueberry syrup. 



With the green tomatoes, I slice them kinda thick, add lemon juice, salt and boiling  hot water.  I hot water bath them for 20 mins.   Most of the recipes, I saw said 7 mins. but I felt like I should do it for a little longer.   I wish I had wrote down my recipe down from last year.    The ones I did last year turned out great. 

Blueberry syrup was pretty easy to make.  Basically, it is just like making jelly except you don't add pectin.   Cook it down till it is as thick as you want it.   It won't be thick like syrup you buy at the store.  I have some syrups to make.  I wan to make strawberry and cherry.   I use the blueberry and blackberry syrup I made in tea and loved it.   It was really good on pancakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment